Cook up a lip smacking chicken dish with these 5 easy spicy chicken recipes. From fried chicken to chicken wings to even a pasta bake, these recipes all pack a good punch of heat which will leave your mouth tingling for more. More importantly, they are extremely easy to make!
*You can substitute any of the mentioned hot sauces with your favourite hot sauce.
CHICKEN ON COUS COUS with Screaming Chimp Vic’s ol Smokey
Cous cous – 100g per person
Chicken breast or thighs – 200g per person
200g washed and diced carrot
100g frozen peas
100g frozen or canned sweetcorn
10g Ras El Hanout spice mix and half pint of Swiss vegetable Bouillon (one and a half tea spoons)
2 tbs of the oil of your choice for the chicken
Two pinches of ground black pepper
A jar of Vic’s Ol’ Smokey sauce for chicken
1. Boil the kettle, add the one and a half tea spoons of Bouillon mix.
2. In a bowl, mix together the Cou Cous, Sultanas, carrot, peas, sweet corn, Ras El Hanout -spice mix and black pepper .
3. Poor in the Bouillon liquid when still hot. Cover the bowl with a plate to seal in the steam and leave for 10 mins.
4. Heat a pan/wok on a medium heat.
5. Slice the breast or thighs into 1cm thick pieces and place in a bowl with the oil and coat.
6. Once browned on both sides, pour in your jar of sauce and stir gently coating all of the chicken.
7. After ten minutes give the cous cous a stir to see that it’s all fluffed up.
8. Serve up. Spoon the cous cous in to your bowl or plate and place chicken on top.
HOT HABANERO SOUTHERN FRIED CHICKEN with Khoo’s Northern Beacon
4 Chicken Breast Fillets
2 ltrs Sunflower Oil
1 tbsp Northern Beacon
1 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Black Pepper
½ tsp Garlic Powder 1 tsp Sage
1½ tsp Black Pepper 1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Celery Salt 80g Self Raising Flour
½ tsp Chilli Flakes 20g Cornflour
1 tsp Oregano
¼ tsp Allspice
2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Sea Salt
½ tsp Ginger
1. Mix the marinade ingredients in a bowl. Cut chicken breast into strips and add to the marinade. Mix well, cover and leave in the fridge to marinade for a minimum of three hours, ideally overnight.
2. Blend all herbs and spices to a fine powder. Mix well with the flour and baking powder.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
4. One at a time take the breast strips from the marinade and dip them in the batter mix. Take your time to ensure each strip is covered totally.
5. Preheat oil to 180°C. Add the chicken strips to the pan in batches of four. Fry until the batter is crispy and golden.
6. Transfer your fried chicken to a wire rack in the oven to stay warm while you cook the remainder.
7. Serve with sliced lemon and pickles.
ZAMBIAN IFISAHI (GROUNDNUT CHICKEN) with Zwoa Piri Piri Sauce
500g chicken (boneless thigh or breast)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
1 onion (finely chopped)
4 tomatoes (chopped)
300ml chicken or vegetable stock
2 heaped tbsp peanut butter
1 teaspoon of Zwao piri piri sauce (2 teaspoons for the brave)
100g fresh spinach
1. Cut chicken into slices and fry in a saucepan on a medium-high heat until browned.
2. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon and add garlic, onion and tomatoes. Fry for 5 minutes until softened.
3. Add peanut butter and stock and cook for 5 mins, stirring well to avoid peanut butter sticking.
4. Add reserved chicken, spinach and piri piri sauce, cook covered for 10-15 mins stirring occasionally.
5. Check seasoning and serve with rice or boiled sweet potatoes.
ROARING CHICKEN WINGS with Viv’s Roaring Rub
500g Chicken Wings
1 Tbsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
3 Tbsp Roaring Rub (or more, depending on how hot you like it)
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Pat chicken wings dry with paper towels.
3. Place chicken wings in a bowl and coat with the oil. Add the rub and toss to coat thoroughly.
4. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and put the spice-coated chicken wings on the baking
5. Bake for approximately 30 minutes.
6. Turn the wings over and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until skin is crisp.
7. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
HABANERO CHICKEN & CHORIZO PASTA BAKE with Ginger Beards Hot Sauce
2 Chicken breasts diced
2 tbsp Habanero hot sauce
1 Cooking chorizo sausage diced
12 Cherry tomatoes halfed
5 Spring onions sliced
1/2 Red pepper diced
50 g Cheddar cheese grated
200g pasta cooked
2 heaped tbsp mayo
1 tsp Pale Ale & juniper mustard
2 tbsp Habanero hot sauce
100 ml Sour cream
100 g Cheddar cheese grated
Salt & pepper to taste
Two hours in advance – marinade the diced chicken breasts in 2 tbsp of habanero hot sauce.
In a frying pan cook the chorizo and chicken breasts.
In an oven proof bowl/dish mix all of the sauce ingredients together.
Add the chopped veg, cooked pasta and cooked chicken/chorizo.
Mix everything together well.
Top with the remaining 50g of cheese and bake for 20 – 30 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius or until golden brown on top.
Serve with salad and coleslaw.