A few months ago an incredible Sambal Ulek appeared on our table. Sambal, a traditional hot sauce or paste from south east Asia, usually packs in an abundance of flavour and heat, from its combination of chillies, spices and vinegar. It is a staple on their daily cousine, and goes fantastic with any curry.
The Sambal that landed on our table, made by Parva Spices, packs in 3 different unique chillies to give it it’s mouth watering flavour. It is fiery, tangy, explosive and addictive.
We couldn’t wait to try this Thai Curry that Parva Spices created and it was absolutely delicious. Try a few more spoonfuls of the Ulek to give it extra heat if that is what rocks your mind!
RECIPE: THAI CURRY USING SABAL ULEK
2 chicken breasts, diced
1 level tablespoon Parva Spices Sambal Ulek
1 carrot, sliced into 1cm rounds
7 – 8 mushrooms, quartered
400ml of coconut milk
Small bunch of chopped coriander
1 tablespoon veg oil
1. Heat the oil in a wok over a medium heat.
2. Add the diced chicken and sambal ulek.
3. Stir everything constantly to coat the chicken in the sambal.
4. When the chicken has taken colour on all sides, tip in the coconut milk and the carrots.
5. Bring to a simmer and turn the heat as low as possible. Cook for 10 minutes.
6.Add the mushrooms, stir through well and cook gently for another 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
7. Taste the sauce and season with salt to taste.
8. Add more sambal ulek to your liking if you want more heat.
9. Stir through the chopped coriander and serve with jasmine rice.